Research Development (R&D)
IRID has been developing the following research.
R&D for Fuel Removal from Spent Fuel Pool
Research on long-term integrity evaluation of fuel assemblies removed from spent fuel pool and on treatment methods for damaged fuel.
R&D for Preparation of Fuel Debris Retrieval
- - R&D on remotely-operated decontamination technology for the reactor building and planning for comprehensive radiation reduction.
- - R&D on investigation and repair (to stop water leakage) technology to submerge the primary containment vessel (PCV), and investigation technology inside the PCV and reactor pressure vessel (RPV).
- - R&D on methods and devices to retrieve fuel debris and reactor internals. Development of technology for the collection, transfer, and storage of fuel debris inside the reactor, as well as R&D on critical control technology for fuel debris and measurement control methods.
- - R&D on fuel debris characterization using simulated fuel debris, analysis of fuel debris properties, and fuel debris treatment technology.
- - Development of integrity evaluation technology for RPVs and PCVs. R&D on identifying the reactor internal by upgrading technology for accident progression analysis.
R&D for Treatment and Disposal of Radioactive Waste
R&D on the treatment and disposal of radioactive waste including secondary waste generated by contaminated water treatment.
- Research and Development
- Released research report
- FY 2017 R&D Report
- Introduction Research
- Survey Device (Shape-changing Robot) Deployed to Inspect Interior of Primary Containment Vessel (PCV)
- Work Training of Device (Shape-changing Robot) to Inspect Interior of Primary Containment Vessel (PCV) [Hitachi-GE Nuclear Energy]
- Development status of equipment for internal PCV investigation [TOSHIBA]
- Robots working inside the buildings at Fukushima Daiichi NPS (Part III) Swimming robot & Crawling robot
- Robots working inside the buildings at Fukushima Daiichi NPS (Part II) MHI-MEISTeR
- Robots working inside the buildings at Fukushima Daiichi NPS Rosemary & Sakura
- Development Status of PCV Leakage Investigation Devices (Toshiba)
- Preliminary Test for “Water Stoppage Method” by Grouting into the Vent Pipe