The 7th International Advisory Meeting Held on December 3 – 4, 2019
The International Research Institute for Nuclear Decommissioning (IRID) held the 7th International Advisory Meeting on December 3 and 4, 2019.
The international advisors are overseas experts who provide advice on the organization management to IRID’s Board of Directors.
At the meeting, the advisors assessed the progress of IRID’s research and development (R&D) in the last one year. Additionally, they evaluated the design review meeting (regularly conducted by IRID) for R&D, safety concepts of fuel debris retrieval, and enhancement of information transmission and communication. Furthermore, the advisors offered valuable suggestions on the establishment of a knowledge management system including lessons learned from past failures and promotion of balanced R&D.
1. The international advisors
- Mr. Lake H. Barrett (USA)
Independent consultant: A former site director for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) on the Three Mile Island accident
- Mr. Luis E. Echávarri (Spain)
Former Director-General of the OECD Nuclear Energy Agency (NEA): Experienced as a member of the International Nuclear Safety Group (INSAG)
- Prof. Melanie Brownridge (UK)
Technology and Innovation Director, Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA)
- Tuesday, December 3, 2019: Report of status of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (updates), IRID’s activities and R&D projects
- Wednesday, December 4, 2019: Comprehensive discussions, and advice and proposals from the advisors on IRID’s overall activities
3．Advice and proposals from the international advisors
The advisors recognized that the current performance of IRID is satisfactory and IRID should continue to improve its activities.
- – Promotion of cooperation with relevant organizations
- – Continued activities to acquire knowledge and skills
- – Continued cooperation with various organizations including academic associations for conducting lectures, promotion of PR activities, etc. to communicate the R&D progress to a broad range of fields.
The International Advisory Meeting, December 3- 4, 2019
- Click [Photos] to enlarge images.
- International Advisory Meeting
- The 7th International Advisory Meeting
- The 6th International Advisory Meeting
- The 5th International Advisory Meeting
- The 4th International Advisory Meeting
- The 3rd International Advisory Meeting
- The 2nd International Advisory Meeting
- The 1st International Advisory Meeting
- International Expert Group (IEG)
- The 3rd International Expert Group (IEG) meeting
- The 2nd International Expert Group (IEG) meeting
- The 1st International Expert Group (IEG) meeting