The 9th International Advisory Meeting Held at IRID Head Office: November 8–10, 2022
*Including Visit to the JAEA Naraha Center for Remote Control Technology Development and TEPCO Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station on November 10, 2022
The International Research Institute for Nuclear Decommissioning (IRID) held the 9th International Advisory Meeting on November 8–10, 2022. The international advisors are overseas experts who provided advice related to the organization and management to the Board of Directors.
The international advisors reviewed the progress in IRID activities for the previous year and evaluated the status of research and development (R&D), especially of fuel debris retrieval, in which IRID is currently engaged. Furthermore, the advisors provided valuable advice regarding knowledge management and future R&D functions.
1. International advisors
- Mr. Lake H. Barrett (USA)
Independent consultant and former site director for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) on the Three Mile Island accident
- Mr. Luis E. Echávarri (Spain)
Former Director-General of the OECD Nuclear Energy (NEA) and member of the International Nuclear Safety Group (INAG)
- Professor Melanie Brownridge (UK)
Head of Technology, Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA)
- Tuesday, November 8, 2022:Report on the update status of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (NPS), an overview of IRID’s activities, and progress on R&D projects
- Wednesday, November 9, 2022:Comprehensive discussions, as well as advice and proposals for IRID’s activities provided by the international advisors.
- Thursday, November 10, 2022:Visit to the Japan Atomic Energy Agency (JAEA) Naraha Center for Remote Control Technology Development (NARREC), the Decommissioning Archive Center, and Fukushima Daiichi NPS, which are owned by Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings (TEPCO), Inc.
3．Advice and proposals from the international advisors
- – Further collaboration with relevant organizations for the future structure of R&D
- – Promotion for acquisition of research data and knowledge
International Advisory Meeting on November 8–10, 2022