The 8th International Advisory Meeting Held on May 25, 2021
The 8th International Advisory Meeting was held online on May 25, 2021, owing to the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. The International Research Institute for Nuclear Decommissioning (IRID) annually holds a face-to-face meeting; this year, however, the meeting was held online for the first time.
The international advisors are overseas experts who provide advice on organization management to the IRID’s board of directors.
At the meeting, the advisors reviewed the progress of IRID activities in the previous year and evaluated the status of the research and development (R&D), especially for fuel debris retrieval technology. Furthermore, IRID board members were provided advice on knowledge management and future R&D functions.
1. The international advisors are as follows
- Mr. Lake H. Barrett (USA)
Independent consultant: A former site director for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) on the Three Mile Island accident (NRC)
- Mr. Luis E. Echávarri (Spain)
Former Director-General of the OECD Nuclear Energy Agency (NEA): Experienced as a member of the International Nuclear Safety Group (INSAG)
- Prof. Melanie Brownridge (UK)
Technology and Innovation Director, Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA)
2．Advice and proposals from the international advisors
RID has made significant progress since it commenced. IRID should continue contributing to the decommissioning of the Fukushima Daiichi NPS.
- – Encouragement of R&D activities
- – Continued activities to acquire knowledge and skills
- – Further collaboration with relevant organizations
- – Continuation of knowledge management to accumulate expertise and skills
- – Ensuring future R&D functions
The International Advisory Meeting on May 25, 2021