Visiting Lecture at Koriyama City Tomita Junior High School (Nov. 25, 2015)
—Introduction of Robots for Decommissioning—
On November 25, 2015, IRID member Hitachi-GE Nuclear Energy, Ltd. participated and cooperated as an external lecturer, together with Tokyo Electric Power Company, Incorporated (TEPCO), at an open class “Think the Reconstruction of Fukushima” held by Koriyama City Tomita Junior High School located in Koriyama City, Fukushima Prefecture.
It is the first time that IRID demonstrated the robot for nuclear-decommissioning in a school class.
Time and Date: Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 13:35-15:00
Place: Koriyama City Tomita Junior High School
Open Class Title: “Think the Reconstruction of Fukushima”
※The school is one of those that gives classes in cooperate with the project for radiation education promotion and support implemented by the Fukushima Prefectural Board of Education. As part of the efforts this class was held to encourage students who are future generation to think about the reconstruction, through the learning of efforts for decommissioning the Fukushima Daiichi.
On the day, the class was conducted for about 30 students in their second year of junior high school.
Firstly, Mr. Sonobe, a teacher in charge, reported the situation and current conditions when he visited the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (NPS).
Then, Mr. Aoki from TEPCO (Fukushima Revitalization Headquarters) used the one-thousandth model of the Fukushima Daiichi NPS to explain the situation at the Fukushima accident occurred and the current situation toward the reconstruction of Fukushima. Workers who actually work in the Fukushima site also appeared and talked about their work and passion. The students experienced wearing a full-face protective mask and a coverall.
Mr. Yutaka Kometani from the Nuclear Equipment Design Department of Hitachi-GE Nuclear Energy, Ltd demonstrated the shape-changing robot (prototype) that investigated inside the primary containment vessel in the Fukushima Daiichi NPS Unit 1 and explained the background of and difficulties involved in developing the robot for nuclear decommissioning, its usefulness, etc. Students asked questions in advance, including: Up to what level of radiation can the robot withstand? What kind of study should I do to become a robot developer?
In the last part of the class, the students divided into five groups and discussed what they could do for the reconstruction of Fukushima. Then, they ended the class by presenting a summary of their opinions.
After the class, IRID received a comment from one of the students: I have learned that more than a half of workers engaged in the decommissioning of the Fukushima Daiichi are those from Fukushima Prefecture. Also, I understand that the reconstruction of Fukushima has been progressing, as exemplified by the development of robot working in places where people cannot access.
This kind of class for the future generation can lead to prospective career education.
IRID is determined to continuously contribute to human resource development by the introducing its R&D results etc. to people.
- [Photos] Click image to enlarge
Mr. Sonobe, a teacher of Koriyama City Tomita Junior High School, introducing the conditions he saw when visiting the Fukushima Daiichi NPS
Mr. Aoki (center), TEPCO, explaining the present condition of the Fukushima Daiichi NPS, using its model
The model of the Fukushima Daiichi NPS (on a one-thousandth scale)
Student (center) experiencing wearing a full-face protective mask and a coverall
Mr. Kometani, Hitachi-GE Nuclear Energy, Ltd., conducting the class on the robot
Demonstrating the shape-changing robot (prototype)
- Human Resource Development
- Lecture by Kenro Takamori, General Manager of R&D Strategy Planning Department [KISTEC Educational Seminar “Starting with "Decommissioning" as the First Step: Developing Technology and Human Resources for the "Next Generation" as the Second Step”](March 14, 2018)
- Lecture by Dr. Tamio Arai [Introduction to Robots for Nuclear Decommissioning at the Department of Informatics, Faculty of Engineering, Kindai University](January 16, 2018)
- Small Workshop with Tokyo Institute of Technology (January 10, 2018)
- Vice President Dr. Tamio Arai Delivers Lecture at the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Technical Committee on the Knowledge Innovation in the Manufacturing and Management (November 13, 2017)
- The University of Tokyo – IRID Workshop was Held (November 1, 2017)
- IRID Presentation at the MIT-Tokyo Tech Workshop on Innovative Nuclear Energy Systems (October 27, 2017)
- A Lecture by Kenro Takamori, General Manager of R&D Strategy Planning Department, at Tohoku University Safety Seminar on Light Water Reactors (Overview of Nuclear Decommissioning) (September 21, 2017)
- A Lecture by Vice President Dr. Tamio Arai at the National Institute of Technology, Fukushima College [Overview of Decommissioning Robot] (September 13, 2017)
- Dr. Tamio Arai, IRID Vice President, Delivers Lecture at the Robotics Society of Japan Open Forum (September 11, 2017)
- Lecture by Vice President Dr. Tamio Arai and Kenro Takamori, General Manager of R&D Strategy Planning Department, at the FY2017 JAEA 3rd Summer School (September 6, 2017)
- Naoaki Okuzumi, Senior Manager of R&D Strategy Planning Department, Gives Speech at National Institute of Technology, Fukushima College (September 6, 2017)
- Naoaki Okuzumi, Senior Manager of R&D Strategy Planning Department Gives Speech at Fukushima Research Conference (ConFDeC2017)(September 5, 2017)
- Naoaki Okuzumi, IRID Senior Manager of R&D Strategy Planning Department, Delivers Lecture. [Knowledge Management Society of Japan] (June 30, 2017)
- IRID Executive Director, Atsufumi Yoshizawa, Delivers Lecture [at Nagoya University] (June 19, 2017)
- IRID Vice President, Dr. Tamio Arai, Delivers Lecture [Special Lecture at Japan Association for Automation Advancement General Meeting] (June 3, 2017)
- Mr. Kuwabara, General Manager of R&D Strategy Planning Department, Delivering Lecture, [KAST Educational Seminar: “Starting with ‘Decommissioning’ as a New Step”] (March 14, 2017)
- Mr. Naoaki Okuzumi, Senior Manager of R&D Strategy Planning Department, Delivering Lecture [Iwaki Manufacturing Academy, The 3rd Decommissioning Course] (February 9, 2017)
- Mr. Atsufumi Yoshizawa, Executive Director of IRID, Delivers Presentation at National Institute of Technology, Fukushima College (January 28, 2017)
- Small Workshop Held with Tokyo Institute of Technology (January 20, 2017)
- Mr. Atsufumi Yoshizawa, Executive Director of IRID, Delivers Lecture at Nagoya University (November 26, 2016)
- Mr. Naoaki Okuzumi, Senior Manager of IRID’s R&D Planning Department, Delivers Lecture at National Institute of Technology, Fukushima College (October 27, 2016)
- Mr. Atsufumi Yoshizawa, Executive Director, Delivers Lecture at Tokyo Institute of Technology. (October 14, 2016)
- Small Workshop held in Co-operation with the Shibaura Institute of Technology (Sep. 26, 2016)
- Mr. Hirohisa Kuwabara, General Manager of the R&D Strategy Planning Dept., gives lecture on Nuclear Science and Technology for Decommissioning (September 15, 2016)
- Mr. Takamori, General Manager, R&D Management Department, Lectured at The Nuclear Summer School in Oarai (August 1, 2016)
- Speech by Kenro Takamori, IRID General Manager, R&D Management Department at the 1st Conference for R&D Initiative on Nuclear Decommissioning Technology by the Next Generation (NDEC）(March 16, 2016)
- Speech by Hirohisa Kuwahara, IRID General Manager, R&D Strategy Planning Department at the 9th Student Research Presentation Meeting hosted by the Atomic Energy Society of Japan, Kanto-Koetsu Office (March 11, 2016)
- Industry-University Cooperation Exchange Meeting with the Shibaura Institute of Technology (Feb. 29, 2016)
- Small workshop at the University of Tsukuba (Feb 9, 2016)
- Visiting Lecture at Koriyama City Tomita Junior High School (Nov. 25, 2015) —Introduction of Robots for Decommissioning—
- Lecture by Kazuhito Yokoi, General Manager of the IRID Development Planning Office [The 4th University-Industry Cooperation Forum at University of Aizu] (Mar. 2, 2015)
- Guest Lecture by IRID’s Kazuhito Yokoi at National Institute of Technology, Oyama College (Dec. 8, 2014)
- Participation of the workshop ‘Decommissioning Basic Research: Human resource development program’ hosted by MEXT (FY2014)
- Workshop for R&D Plan and Scientific Research for Decommissioning of TEPCO’s Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station, Jointly Hosted by MEXT and IRID in FY2013