IRID Symposium 2019: Challenges for Fuel Debris Retrieval Ⅲ
The International Research Institute for Nuclear Decommissioning (IRID) held a symposium to report on achievements in technology development related to the decommissioning of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (NPS) that was conducted by IRID. The details of the symposium are as follows.
At the IRID Symposium 2019, the results of IRID’s Research and Development (R&D) entitled “Challenges for Fuel Debris Retrieval Ⅲ” were presented. Additionally, it continued to promote the cultivation of young researchers and engineers as with the previous year’s symposium.
- 1. Date and time: Thursday, August 1, 2019, 13:00 – 17:15 (Opens at 12:00)
- 2. Place: Exhibition Hall, 6th floor, Iwaki Business Innovation Center (LATOV), Iwaki city, Fukushima Prefecture.
- 3. Program
|by Hideo Ishibashi, President of IRID|
|by the Director-General of Tatsuya Shinkawa, Nuclear Accident Disaster Response, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI)|
|13:10-13:50||Report of “Status of IRID’s R&D”
*The PDF file is available in Japanese only.
|by Kenro Takamori, General Manager of the R&D Strategy Planning Department, IRID|
|13:50-15:35||Presentations of research achievements by students|
|15:35-17:05||Poster exhibitions on decommissioning|
|17:05-17:10||Awards ceremony for students|
|17:10-17:15||Comments on the awards|
|by Tadashi Kawamura, Executive Director of IRID|
<Video> Video footage of the symposium (only a presentation by IRID) can be viewed on YouTube.
*Click the YouTube link below. Only Japanese is available.
Poster exhibitions on the decommissioning technology
- Click the images to open the PDF files.
Introduction of IRID
Overview of IRID’s R&D “Challenges for Fuel Debris Retrieval Ⅲ”
History of IRID’s R&D
Investigation of the inside of the Reactor Pressure Vessel (RPV) for fuel debris retrieval
Detailed information on the inside of the Primary Containment Vessel (PCV) for fuel debris retrieval (Arm-type investigation device)
Acquisition of detailed information on the inside of the PCV for fuel debris retrieval (Submersible-type investigation device)
Establishing the intake section of the PCV water circulation system during fuel debris retrieval
Fuel debris characterization by analysis of fine samples collected in the Fukushima Daiichi NPS
Investigation of fuel debris sampling for fuel debris retrieval
Retrieval of fuel debris that has fallen into the reactor (technology development)
The IRID Symposium 2019
- Click [Photos] to enlarge images.
- Mr. Kenro Takamori, the General Manager of IRID’s R&D Strategy Planning Department, delivered a presentation on the status of R&D in fuel debris retrieval at the Fukushima Daiichi NPS. The symposium was attended by approximately 270 people (including members of the press).
The main hall
Opening remarks by Mr. Hideo Ishibashi, President of IRID.
Guest speech by Mr. Tatsuya Shinkawa, Director-General, METI
Mr. Kenro Takamori, General Manager, IRID
- The symposium featured presentations of research achievements by students as was done during the previous symposium. Seven students presented high-level presentations. IRID awarded the students with the best and the second-best presentations, but the results of the assessment were very close.
- After the presentations by students, a poster session was held to promote direct communication with engineers and students who are involved in R&D and the latest IRID’s R&D projects.
- Exhibition of a sampling device for small amounts of fuel debris (a prototype) for detailed investigations of the inside of the Unit 2 PCV in the Fukushima Daiichi NPS.
*Click the YouTube link below.
Visit to the Japan Atomic Energy Agency (JAEA) Naraha Center for Remote Control Technology Development and Fukushima Daiichi NPS
On Friday, August 2, 2019, the IRID organized a site tour of the Fukushima Daiichi NPS and the JAEA Naraha Remote Technology Development Center for students who gave presentations and exhibited posters at the IRID Symposium 2019. They included undergraduates, graduate students, and students at the National Institute of Technology. The site tour is arranged yearly on the day after the symposium. This site tour also included the TEPCO Decommissioning Archive Center, which was newly opened in November 2018.
This site tour intended to promote a better understanding of R&D related to the decommissioning among those students who are expected to work on the decommissioning in the future. The site tour also aimed to provide an opportunity to visit the Fukushima Daiichi NPS and the Naraha Remote Technology Development Center to be utilized for further research activities.
- Click [Photos] to enlarge images.
- Reports of Activities
- IRID Symposium 2019: Challenges for Fuel Debris Retrieval Ⅲ (August 1, 2019)
- Special Lecture by Mr. Naoaki Okuzumi for Fukushima Technology Center Research Workshop (June 25, 2019)
- Dr. Tamio Arai, Vice President of IRID, Delivers a Lecture at the International Topical Workshop on Fukushima Decommissioning Research (FDR 2019) (May 26, 2019)
- Kenro Takamori, General Manager of the R&D Strategy Planning Department, Delivers Lecture at the International Research Centre for Nuclear Materials Science, Institute for Materials Research, Tohoku University (April 11, 2019)
- Mr. Kenro Takamori, General Manager of R&D Strategy Panning Department, at the 2019 Spring Meeting, Atomic Energy Society of Japan. (March 20, 2019)
- Dr. Tamio Arai, Vice President of IRID, Delivers a Lecture at the NPO Environmental Veterans Firm (EVF) (March 19, 2019)
- Naoaki Okuzumi’s Lecture at the JAIF International Cooperation Center (JICC) (February 1, 2019)
- Naoaki Okuzumi, Senior Manager of the R&D Strategy Planning Department, Participated in the International Conference and Delivered a Lecture [OECD/NEA SAREF Joint Workshop on the Fukushima Daiichi Decommissioning/PreADES Project] (January 24 and 28, 2019)
- Lecture by Naoaki Okuzumi, Senior Manager of R&D Strategy Planning Department, at The Japan Machinery Federation (November 30, 2018)
- Booth Display at Robot Festa Fukushima 2018: Research and Development for the Decommissioning of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station, and Introduction of Submersible Robot (November 22-23, 2018)
- IRID President Hideo Ishibashi Delivers Lecture at RADIEX 2018 (October 11, 2018)
- Lecture by Naoaki Okuzumi, Senior Manager of R&D Strategy Planning Department, at Fukushima Prefectural Centre for Environmental Creation (September 21, 2018)
- The 2018 Fall Meeting of the Atomic Energy Society of Japan: Lecture by Hideaki Kiyoura, General Manager of the R&D Management Department. (September 7, 2018)
- IRID Symposium 2018: Challenges Toward Fuel Debris Retrieval Ⅱ (August 2, 2018)
- Lecture by Hideo Ishibashi, the President of IRID, at the Chubu Atomic Power Conference (May 29, 2018)
- A Lecture by Naoaki Okuzumi, Senior Manager of R&D Strategy Planning Department at the Warsaw JAIF International Cooperation Center (JICC) in Poland (May 17, 2018)
- A Lecture by Dr. Tamio Arai at Academic Network contributing to Fukushima Reconstruction and Reactor Decommissioning (ANFURD): Workshop on Potential Issues for Fuel Debris Retrieval (May 15, 2018)
- Booth Display at the 89th Fukushima Prefecture May Day (April 28, 2018)
- Atomic Energy Society of Japan Symposium / Nuclear Decommissioning of TEPCO’s Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Stations: Key Issues and Perspectives , A Lecture by Vice President Dr. Tamio Arai (March 18, 2018)
- 6th Asian Nuclear Power Briefing 2018 (February 13, 2018)
- Lecture at the JAIF International Cooperation Center (JICC) (February 12, 2018)
- Visit to the U.S. Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) (January 29-30, 2018)
- Naoaki Okuzumi, Senior Manager of R&D Strategy Planning Department, Participated in the International Conference to Deliver a Lecture [OECD/NEA, SAREF/PreADES Project, and BSAF Project Phase-2 Workshop](January 18 and 22, 2018)
- Lecture by Dr. Hironori Adachi, Senior Manager of the R&D Management Department [Lecture Meeting on Nuclear Decommissioning and Contaminated Water Management] (December 20, 2017)
- Poster Display at "Japan Atomic Energy Agency (JAEA) Naraha Remote Technology Development Center" (26 November 2017)
- Poster Display at "Iwaki Industry Festa: Iwaki Industry Innovation Exhibition / Business Matching EXPO 2017" (24-25 November 2017)
- Booth Display at "Robot Festa Fukushima 2017" (22-23 November 2017)
- Naoaki Okuzumi, Senior Manager of R&D Strategy Planning Department, Gives Speech at the 26th Polymer Materials Forum (November 16, 2017)
- Poster Displays at "Special Exhibition of Nuclear Decommissioning and Operational Extension: Current Situation of Nuclear Power Stations in Fukui Prefecture." (November 3-12, 2017)
- IRID President Hideo Ishibashi Delivers Lecture at RADIEX 2017 (October 20, 2017)
- IRID Presentation at the 34th JAIF-KAIF Seminar on Nuclear Industry (October 16, 2017)
- IRID Lectures at the 2017 Fall Meeting of the Atomic Energy Society of Japan
- IRID Symposium 2017 in Iwaki City: – Challenging Toward Fuel Debris Retrieval –
- Lecture by IRID Executive Director Atsufumi Yoshizawa at ICAPP 2017 (April 28, 2017)
- Booth Display at ‘Robot Festa Fukushima’ (November 19, 2016)
- Participation in ‘Science Agora 2016′ (November 5-6, 2016)
- Mr. Hirofumi Kenda, President of IRID, Delivers Lecture for RADIEX 2016 (October 20, 2016)
- Mr. Atsufumi Yoshizawa, Executive Director, Addresses the Atomic Energy Society of Japan 2016 Fall Meeting (September 9, 2016)
- IRID Symposium 2016 in Tokyo Develop the Future for Decommissioning (August 4th, 2016)
- Dr. Kotoku and Mr. Ohhashi, both of Deputy General Managers, lectured at International Conference on Advancing the Global Implementation of Decommissioning and Environmental Remediation Programmes. (May 23rd – May 27th, 2016)
- Lecture by Mr. Kiichi Suganuma, Executive Director of IRID, at the Third Japan-U.S. Decommissioning and Remediation Fukushima Recovery Forum (Feb. 24, 2016)
- Lecture by Mr. Kiyoshi Oikawa, Director of IRID, entitled “International Workshop on the Use of Robotic Technologies at Nuclear Facilities” (Feb. 3, 2016)
- Participation in the International Robot Exhibition 2015 -Exhibition of Decommissioning Robots and Lecture by IRID Director Kiyoshi Oikawa-(Dec. 2-5, 2015)
- Lecture Delivered by Mr. Kiichi Suganuma, Executive Director of IRID at the Fifth World Engineering Conference and Convention (Dec.1, 2015)
- Participation in Science Agora 2015 -Introduction of Robots for Nuclear Decommissioning and Announcement of IRID’s R&D Achievements-(Nov. 14-15, 2015)
- Exhibition at an IRID booth at the Robot Festa Fukushima 2015 -Introduction of Robots for Decommissioning-(Nov. 3, 2015)
- Lecture by Tetsuo Kotoku, IRID Deputy General Manager, R&D Strategy Planning Department at 2015 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2015) (Oct. 2, 2015)
- Report on IRID’s R&D Achievements at 2015 Fall Meeting of the Atomic Energy Society of Japan (Sept. 11, 2015)
- The 33-rd Annual Conference of the Robotics Society of Japan (Sept. 3-5, 2015)
- IRID Symposium 2015 in Fukushima – Create a Path to Decommissioning “Approaching Molten Fuel Debris” –
- Lecture by IRID President Hirofumi Kenda at RADIEX2015 (Jul. 15-17, 2015)
- The 12th Scientific Lecture Meeting of the Japan Society of Maintenology (Jul. 13 -15, 2015)
- Lectures by IRID Director Kiyoshi Oikawa and Deputy Manager Yasuaki Miyamoto at the German-Japanese Symposium on Technological and Educational Resources for the Decommissioning of Nuclear Facilities (April 21, 2015)
- Lecture by Takashi Sato, General Manager of IRID R&D Management Department [2nd Japan-U.S. Decommissioning and Remediation Fukushima Recovery Forum] (Apr. 9, 2015)
- Lecture by IRID Executive Director Kiichi Suganuma at the Chubu Atomic Industrial Conference (Feb. 13, 2015)
- Lecture Delivered by IRID Director Kiyoshi Oikawa at the Regular Meeting of the Iwaki Association of Corporate Executives. (Dec. 5, 2014)
- Lecture Delivered by IRID Director Kiyoshi Oikawa at the 4th ‘NEXT 30 Study Group’ research seminar (Oct. 29, 2014)
- President of IRID, Mr. Kenda gave a speech [WRFPM2014]
- 2014 Fall Meetings of Atomic Energy Society of Japan
- Keynote Speech by IRID Director Kiyoshi Oikawa at the Inauguration of the Nuclear Decommissioning Council, Koriyama City (July 24, 2014)
- Lecture Delivered by IRID Director Toshihiko Fukuda to The Association for Nuclear Decommissioning Study Fourth Workshop FY2014 (July 22, 2014)
- IRID Annual Symposium 2014 IRID activities for nuclear decommissioning
- Lecture by IRID President Hajimu Yamana to MBA21 (May 28, 2014)
- Speech by IRID President Hajimu Yamana to the Nuclear Systems Association (May 20, 2014)
- Finnish Delegation Visited
- Special Lecture given by Mr. Lake Barrett (April 29, 2014)
- Visit by Members of the Fukushima Prefectural Assembly to the Kyoto University Research Reactor Institute (April 10, 2014)
- Presentation to the Atomic Energy Society of Japan Chubu Branch by IRID Executive Director Kazuhiro Suzuki (May 14, 2014)
- Press conference held at the Japan National Press Club by the President of IRID,